Saturday, February 6, 2016

Yellowstone- Some of the less famous natural wonders

If you knew me when I was eight years old and asked me "Nick, if you could go anywhere in the whole world, where would you go?" I wouldn't have hesitated, and I wouldn't have said Disney World. I would have said Yellowstone. If I was going on a trip out west, there was no way I was going to miss Yellowstone.

We spent seven days in Yellowstone. The national park is the size of Connecticut. There are natural wonders everywhere. I wanted to see as many of them as I could. Of course, there is a lot of wildlife also. We saw a couple of grizzlies and a wolf pack. We also saw many elk, bison, and bighorn sheep. At this point we were so spoiled by the last three, they had become "old hat"

The problem with showing you pictures of Yellowstone is:how? I think it is clear I love photography and of course I am very proud of some of these photos. However, the point of these posts is to give others a chance to see places maybe they have never been. My hope is that one of these places will inspire someone to go there. Between my son and I, we took a thousand pics in Yellowstone. I don't know how to present them. Clearly, I do not want to do a post from each of my seven days, nor do you want to see seven posts about Yellowstone. Still, this national park compared to all others is one of the most amazing places on earth.  So I think I will lump things together. An example would be to do a post featuring geysers. Just remember, although clumped in the same post, not all geysers are close together. Not all animals were in the same field, etc...


Petrified Tree. Hardened by minerals into
stone

The first hike we did, was to this suspension bridge
it goes over the very impressive Yellowstone River





While hiking back to the car we encountered this mule deer
eating the pedals off of flowers. It was right on the trail

As we passed by it, I could have reached out and touched her


The buffalo will use the steam from the
hot springs to shield themselves of bugs

Natural Bridge.


Yellowstone Lake is the largest mountain lake in the U.S.
It is 136 square miles








Firehole Falls








This is Sheepeater Cliff. It was named because of the
Sheepeater Indian Tribe lived in the area.
We got a lot of good pictures of marmots scurrying around


Moose Falls. No one goes to the park to see
waterfalls, but there are a lot of big ones




Liberty Cap is a large calcium deposit





The famous gate at the
North Entrance





Tower Fall
Fall not falls, No S

Pillar of Hercules

No comments:

Post a Comment