Thursday, February 4, 2016

Getting to the Beartooth Mountains Western Trip Part 11

Before heading into Yellowstone, DJ and I did an overnight trip in the Beartooth Wilderness. As we were driving towards the mountains, we saw skis on car rooftops. We gave each other a weird look as if to say "what are we driving into. It was the second week of July and sure enough in the mountains there were plenty of snow fields.

Just driving into the Beartooth area was an adventure. You have to climb from the prairie onto the Beartooth Plateau. To reach this height, the Beartooth Highway  goes up a series of switchbacks in spectacular fashion. Once we got on top (elevation roughly 11000 feet) we started to experience symptoms of altitude sickness. DJ was getting dizzy and light headed. I on the other hand could not quench my thirst. I was drinking a pint of water an hour (while driving). I did not realize being thirsty was a symptom at the time. I honestly thought that something was wrong with me and I might start showing symptoms of diabetes, that runs in my family. Luckily my thirst went away in a day or so.

Because of DJ's dizziness I scratched our plan to jump right into hiking. Instead we stayed at a roadside campground for the night. This was a terrific idea. The campground was on Beartooth Lake. DJ caught his first ever trout on a fly rod and we saw a fox


DJ at a pullover on the Beartooth Highway



When you see snow in July, you need to stand on it and
get a picture









They tell people not to feed the animals, but very few listen.
This is not a chipmunk, it is actually a golden mantled
ground squirrel 




DJ fly-fishing Beartooth Lake





This fox was hunting for food when we came by.




DJ with the first ever trout caught on a fly rod
by a Pacelli. I had to wait one more day

Yellow Bellied Marmot

This view and the one underneath are actually roadside views.
The pictures were taken from a dirt road off of the Beartooth Highway




No comments:

Post a Comment