Saturday, October 3, 2015

An Interview with Matt Craig Part 2


Dug Pinnick of King's X at Jarrod's in
Attleboro June 6, 2002. Both Pictures have Matt and his
friend Keith
Due to the fact that I spent many nights after work and most of my days off in Narragansett during September, I did not get a chance to write this post as soon as I would have liked. I want to thank Matt once again for taking the time out to answer my questions. He told me on multiple occasions he enjoys doing it. That got me thinking, if someone started asking me a bunch of questions about fishing, I'd enjoy answering them. Given the chance to think of happy memories and give advice is fun. None the less, Matt did have to take time to write answers on his computer, which I appreciated
very much. So without further ado here is part 2

Don't know if you saw on the blog post someone sent in a question. I think it might be Eric Lowe. Here it is,

1. .Great Article. Can't Wait for Part 2. I have a couple question: How many shows did Matt see at Club Babyhead? What was his favorite show there?

Answer- Club Babyhead. I've been there probably 6 or 7 times. The best show I saw was easily Dream Theater in Jan '93. Still have the shirt from that show. The last show I saw before it closed was Fear Factory in '96.


.2.Which big groups/ singers have the most value for how good the show is compared to ticket price. For me, you can't beat Kid Rock at 20 dollars.

Answer- Best value is probably Dream Theater since its always long sets. Metal shows tend to be most affordable shows and allows me to go to a lot of them. Average price is @$30. Obviously Kid Rock gets props for his $20 tickets

 3. Which big groups/ singers do you think was a waste of your time. For me, it was country group Sugsrland? they only played one hour and twenty minutes.

Answer- Honestly cant think of a band/artist I found to be a waste of time.Their are some I saw once and wouldn't necessarily go a again but not becasue they were bad just not a big fan (ex. Madonna I saw her once at it was good but once is enough). Ive never to best of my recollection after a show saying what of waste of time and money. Even though I go to a lot of shows I love a wide variety of music. Seen Gloria Estefan and Kelly Clarkson but also seen Cannibal Corpse and Dying Fetus and every types in between



4. I like to take pictures of everything. When I see an animal in the woods, I sometimes have to remind myself
Scott Ian of Anthrax but this was an S.O.D. gig. It
was at Living Room in Providence 12/1/99
to enjoy the moment because I'm looking for the perfect photo.  Since you like to remember setlists and get pictures, do you ever find yourself forgetting just to have fun? Was it something you ever had to "overcome"

Answer- I do tend to take a lot of pics and focusing at times on setlist I occasionally forget to just have fun and then just stop and enjoy. For the most part I just take a few pics during a song I'm not a fan of it and then watch rest of the show

5. Most money you ever spent on a ticket? who was it? was it worth it? 

Answer- Most spent was was @$150 for Big 4 at Yankee Stadium. Locally it was $130 for Tom Petty at Fenway and Paul McCartney also at Fenway

6. Right now, who would be your perfect 3 concert? an opener, middle act, headliner?

Answer- Need to think about my favorite 3/dream show However I went to see Dream Theater headline Queensryche main opener and Fates Warning opening in '03. 3 bands I all love and to this day best 3 band lineup Ive been to and could easily be the 3 Id pick.

7. Obviously I know you like metal, classic rock, rock, do you like country or rap? if yes have you gone to any concerts from those genres? If yes, whose shows did you really enjoy?

 Answer- I saw Carrie Underwood on Carnival Ride tour. It was really good. I saw 2 rap groups WuTang Clan and Gangstarr but that's only because they were on separate occasions opening for Rage Against The Machine

8.When I saw Bruce Springstein, he played for three hours, can you remember a few acts that put on really long shows? ( this question is in case I like some of these groups I'll know I should go)

Answer- Longest show was Dream Theater playing 3 hours. The year escapes but I believe in was 2002 but not sure. Dream Theater tends to play long shows. Paul McCartney played 2 hours 45 minutes at Fenway. He was on stage the entire time. He only left for a few minutes before encore. Pretty remarkable for a guy who at the time I think was 72.


9. Non concert question- Did you see Rock of Ages the movie? If yes did you like it? It is one of my favorite movies!

Answer- Never saw Rock of Ages and no desire to

10. Have you been to any Fenway concerts? If yes please give a venue review, sight lines, is the stage in the outfield? etc... I wouldn't be thrilled that you can't tailgate.

Answer- Ive been to 5 shows at Fenway and all were amazing. Roger Waters, Paul McCartney, Tom Petty, Foo Fighters, Billy Joel. Never been on the field and sat in different parts of the park at each show. Not only were they fantastic and long shows but being at Fenway makes it a little more special.


11.Who would you most want to see, that currently is retired or broken up (with most of the memebers still alive)?

 Answer-Led Zeppelin. 'Ive never seen them and there's still 3 of 4 alive

12. Who would you most want to see that you've never seen that is dead? If it is Elvis or the Beatles who would be next?

 The obvious answer is The Beatles which is true but also the classic lineup of The Temptations. Only 1 (Otis Williams) is still alive. The other Eddie Kendricks, David Ruffin, Paul Williams (no relation to Otis) and Melvin Franklin are all deceased. I love answering these questions. 



I have known Matt for  over 25 years. I can't say that we have been close since high school. Sometimes I'd go years without running into him. One thing that hasn't changed in twenty five years is his passion for music. I truly believe even if my mother never took me fishing, I would have found a way to have it become a huge part of my life anyway. I'm sure I was destined to love fishing and the outdoors from birth. Without speaking for Matt, I'd bet he feels his love of live music has been inside him for as long as he can remember. As I said in part 1, I admire every person that truly lives life to the fullest and has as much fun as they can in our short time on this planet. I't's safe to say Matt lives it up. Also it's nice to have a friend that I can ask any music question too, and he will most likely know the answer.

Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment