Saturday, September 19, 2015

A Float and Albie Deciever

Float/Leader/Albie Deceiver
I caught most of my albies yesterday on a float and fly. Specifically the fly is what's known as an albie deceiver. It is a combination of blue, chartreuse, and white. You can experiment with the colors. For the most part I like using blue for the tail feathers. I like getting some chartreuse somewhere near the front, either the top or the body. I am not an expert on making flies. However, I get no greater satisfaction than catching a false albacore on a fly that I made.

Albies have fantastic eyesight. They are so picky because they can distinguish if something is food in an instant. Since I can make the entire rig from wooden egg, leader and fly, if I catch an albie on it, I feel really good about myself.

Of course, metal works as well. I guess some days the fly will out fish the metal and others it's the other way around. I have not caught enough albies to  really have that happen. Given the choice, I'd much rather start with the float and fly. For those of you that don't know, when I use the term "metal" I am talking about long thin spoons like a Kastmaster XL and Deadly Dick.

If you want to try making your own flies, my friend Dave put on his blog a short video on how to make them. It's quick and easy. The best part is, you can follow along and pause it as you go. That is how I learned to make them. Here is the link;

http://ristripedbass.blogspot.com/2013/08/video-tying-albie-deceiver.html





I hooked so many fish yesterday on this fly,
the hook eventually broke off



No comments:

Post a Comment