Sunday, August 30, 2015

An Interview with my friend Matt Craig- Concert Guru Part 1

Matt Craig in the middle with Ronnie James Dio and
his band
The people that I have the most respect for are those that have passion and hobbies. These are the people I find to be the most interesting. Obviously, I am fanatical about fishing and hiking. If I meet someone that knows more about fishing than me, or hiked places  I haven't hiked, I'm most likely going to ask a million questions and learn what I can from them. However, I find people interesting when I do not have the same hobbies as them. Sometimes, I enjoy talking to them more, because I can learn so much or have my eyes opened up to something I know nothing about.

The people that I just do not understand are those that spend their life as workaholics and those that spend it in misery. Those people that stay in bad marriages and those that don't do anything to make their life happier, I do not comprehend. It's as if they think we get a "do over" if this life doesn't work out. As I said, the people that I most respect, live life to the fullest. They are passionate about something. It doesn't matter to me if that something is building ships in a bottle or extreme sports. Matt Craig is passionate about live music. He is also a huge sports fan. He loves the Celtics, and Providence College Men's basketball team and goes to many of their games. As I said, he lives life to the fullest. Although I love sports and go to some Friars games also, his love of live music is what most interested me.

That is why I asked Matt Craig if I could interview him for my blog. Matt has been to around 800 concerts! He is a lover of music, it is safe to say going to concerts is something he lives for. I met Matt in seventh grade. He was the first person I became friends with in Junior High that was not in my elementary school. Even back then, he was writing all over his book covers in the "font" of the bands he liked. I remember it clear as day his covers would covered in band names. Matt knew the names of members of many of his favorite bands. To this day about the only band I can name all the
members of is Motley Crue. 
Matt and two friends with Kings X

I asked Matt if I could interview him because, if someone goes to that many shows, they are bound to have gained a lot of knowledge. As I said, I enjoy learning about things I know nothing about. I'm sure Matt knows the  best venues, best acts, and has loads of personal stories to tell . I assume that if I find it interesting other people might as well.  

Doing this post was a fun "project." Usually, I do a day trip or go fishing  and write about it. This post took a little thought. I sent Matt  a series of questions, he would answer them in a day or two and I'd send him a few more. Then I asked him for some pictures. I didn't want to overwhelm him with hundreds of questions in case he was only agreeing to answer them as a favor to me. I have to say, it was refreshing to do this post. Instead of writing about myself or telling "my story" I get to hear about someone else's experiences and write about it. So a big thank you to Matt Craig for taking the time out his day (more than once) to answer my questions. 

Before I begin, I have to apologize about one thing, a lot of the questions I asked him required only one word answers (such as how many concerts have you gone to this year, or favorite venue) I am hoping to get more "stories" in Part 2 of the interview

1.Do you keep track of how many concerts you have been  to? If so do you know how many? I keep a journal of many lists such as daytrips, movies, books I have read, I thought there was a good chance Matt keeps track of concerts for the same reason, to help keep the memories organized.

I do keep track. I have giant notebooks binders with all the info including dates,venues,bands,setlists.

 My 1st show was 11/19/88 to most recent one last Saturday. How many not sure rough estimate probably @800

2. How many shows have you been to this year?
25 so far this year but have many more scheduled

3. What's your favorite large venue?
.Dunkin Donuts Center. Its local and easy to get in and out of

4. What's you favorite small venue?
Twin River Event Center and Showcase Live

5. What's your least favorite venue and why?
TD Garden

As far as TD Garden Its too big and getting in and out of that building can be frustrating. Plus I'm not a fan of going into Boston unless I have to


6. Who have you seen the most times?
Dream Theater 21 times

7. When we were growing up Matt was taunted by his best friends for being Stryper's biggest fan. Stryper is a Christian rock band. Is Stryper still your favorite band?
Dream Theater #1 but Stryper is a close #2

8. Who is your favorite that came out since 2000?
Fozzy

Did you see Nirvana? 
Never saw Nirvana but have seen Foo Fighters 3 times and did Krist Novoselic once

10. Did you see any other iconic people that died?
Unfortunately a lot. Ronnie James Dio, Dimebag Darrell, Peter Steele, Chris Squire, Jon Lord, Kevin DuBrow, Jeff Hanneman, Billy Powell, Leon Wilkinson, John Entwistle, Davy Jones, Renaldo "Obie" Benson, Paul Baloff. There may be more but that's all I could think of.

11.What is the farthest you have ever gone to a concert?
Farthest ever was new Yankee Stadium in 2011 for Big 4 show (Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth & Anthrax

( I have to give Matt big props for this, Can you imagine being surrounded by 50,000 Yankee fans. Sounds awful)

12.Have you ever flown specifically to go to a concert?
2)Never flown to a show

13/14 I know you have met a lot of famous people, who spent the most time talking and caring about their fans?
Do you recall any conversations with any rockers that got to the point of "getting to know you" talk?

As far as musicians I've met some of the nicer more fan friendly ones were Michael Sweet (Stryper), Dug Pinnick (Kings X), Jerry Only (Misfits), Scott Ian (Anthrax) and Chris Jericho.

Matt sent this a few days later-
 I failed to mention that the absolute nicest guy I met is the late great Ronnie James Dio in 2004


15. I hesitate to ask if anyone was a dick because anyone can have a bad day. You never know if someone just found out their girlfriend cheated on them right before a Meet and Greet, but did anyone leave a bad taste?

 I can't say anyone was a dick or a jerk.Most of my experiences were positive.

16. I'm curious about Davy Jones
I saw Davy Jones when he and Mickey Dolenzwere performing as The Monkees featuring Mickey & Davy. Fun show btw 

17. I'm thinking about going to see Meatloaf at Twin River. I'm guessing you have seen him. Give me a concert review before I go. How long does he play? Is he passionate or just go through the motions? Does the crowd get into it? Does he include the crowd.. I'll take anything you got

Answer_ I'm not a fan of Meatloaf. I like a few songs but would never pay to see him so I cant help with any additional info on him

Matt is right. I looked up tickets. He is playing at Twin River in November. The cheap seats are $80. I am not paying that to hear "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" and "Two outta Three Ain't Bad"

I know that many of you reading this clicked on it because you are friends with Matt and never have been to my outdoor blog. However, I have a request, if you have any questions for Matt such as a review of an artist, or any other question, could you put that question in my comments section instead of asking him personally or on Facebook? Chances are if it is of interest to you, it probably would to me and his other friends also. I will include it in the questions for Part 2. 

Thank you for reading.

Doyle Wolfgang Von Frankenstein from Misfits
I'm guessing you can figure which one he is







1 comment:

  1. Great Article. Can't Wait for Part 2. I have a couple question: How many shows did Matt see at Club Babyhead? What was his favorite show there?

    ReplyDelete