Monday, August 3, 2015

Gilbert Hills State Forest

I left work today with a migraine. This left me out of commission for a while as I needed a nap. Unfortunately, I had big plans today to either go fishing in Narragansett or go for a long hike at Rocky Narrows. However, when I got up from my nap, it was to late to make the trip to 'gansett worth while. I still wanted to to something since it was really nice out. I decided to go to the Dover/Sherborn area where there are a lot of properties to hike. I knew full well that by the time I got to any of them it would be 6:45 and I'd barely have an hour to walk.

As I was driving up Route 1 thinking of the closest properties to hike, I realized I pass by Gilbert
Hills State Forest on my way to them. Knowing I could have almost two hours if I went there, I chose to pull in. Gilbert Hills is easy to get to. From the north, take a left at the light on Route 1@ Thurston Street. There is a sign for the state forest and Normandy Farms Campground. Follow Thurston St. for about a mile and a half to Mill St, which also has a sign for the state forest. Follow Mill St until you come to a parking area on your right across the street from a Forest Service Fire station.

Once there I walked up the parking lot to a board where I picked up a map. There are miles of trails. It is easy to get lost if you do not pay attention. There are many side trails off the main trails that do not seem to be on the map. However if you stay on the main trails, there is  usually a map with a "you are here" dot at most intersections. For the most part, the forest is white pines with hardwoods mixed in. Even though your never to far from a road, you get a deep woods feel walking through. There are some swampy areas that the trails go by.

Gilbert Hills is locally famous for being an exceptional area for mountain biking. I walked for 1:45
hours and saw two other people walking out of the woods. I did see at least half a dozen mountain bikers though. I certainly understand the appeal of mountain biking there. There are tons of trails. Some are big wide fire roads and some are much more difficult single track mountain bike trails. Although I am not in love with mountain biking, I will probably bring my bike there one night this month. If for no other reason, I can see a lot more of the forest on a bike than by hoofing it.

The only downside to my experience tonight was the entire walk I had bugs buzzing around my ears and bouncing off my skull. I put on but spray before my walk. I didn't get bit by a single mosquito, However the little flies bouncing off my head were making me go bananas. I should have worn my cap as it would have solved that problem, but I'm not sure if it would have stopped the buzzing around my ears. Either way, as the month progresses, I'm sure there will be less and less insects to contend with.  


No comments:

Post a Comment