Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Go Big or Stay Home?

Lately I have been in kind of a funk. I have had to force myself to go outside on weeknights. Normally, I spend most of my work day planning my evening. This is especially true in the spring when there are so many options. However, for the last couple of weeks, unless it is my day off and I have a big plan, I haven't really wanted to do much. 

For the last few weeks I have been working six days, having Fridays off. For the last two Fridays, I have gone on my friend Eric's boat. Fishing was incredible and it was easy for me to get up at ungodly hours to go fishing. This Friday, I think I'm going out on Prudence Island for a day on the water. I can fish, walk in the woods and look for deer, and snorkel. There is a cove that I snorkel in that is loaded with tasty quahogs. Prudence is small enough that I can easily cover the island on my bike. 

The problem I am having is the motivation to do stuff the other six days during a week. I think there are many reasons that accumulate to the point of my laziness.Warning- whining ahead; First off I gained some of the fifty pounds I lost so lately I have been exercising most every night. It gets dark so late, who wants to run at 10 pm after fishing? Two, Tuesday nights I have to go into work for an hour to prep my croissants. Three, I go into work at 5:30 am on Wednesdays and work about 10 hours, so I'm tired. Four, I am on call six days a week right now for work, it is a little hairy knowing I could be an hour from home and a night girl could be throwing up and I have to go in and relieve her.

Lastly and much more importantly than all the above bitching is just that I like my spring hobbies that I can do after work much more than my summer hobbies. I live for Wachusett, trout, big mirror carp, stripers, and watching birds during their northern migration. During the summer those hobbies are replaced by bass fishing, catfishing, much slower carp fishing, and non existent stripers in Narragansett Bay during the summer.

Don't get me wrong, I love summer daytrips. Prudence, Charlestown Breachway and of course New Hampshire are some of my favorite things to do. Finding the motivation after work has been hard. However, I realize on the nights I sit at home, I'm bored and angry with myself for staying in. So even though I really don't want to, I have been going out.

Last night I went to Newport (at a spot that is good at high tide at dark) I ended up catching three stripers and had five other hits. I would however consider a trip to Newport as a big "exotic" trip even if it is only for a few hours. Tonight I forced myself to go bass fishing. There is a lake that can only be fished from shore near my house that has smallmouth. Tonight the fish were not biting, as I only caught one little one. Making it that more difficult to motivate myself to go out tomorrow night. The good news was that I saw the prettiest, longest, sunset I have ever seen.  

Please no hate comments. I completely understand that my life could be a whole lot worse when my biggest problem is that I like catching trout more than largemouth bass. This was just a short vent. I'm sure I'll figure it out. I'll find a new challenge or get into an old hobby hardcore (like I did birding this spring). But I do wonder, are the Albies here yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment