Monday, May 4, 2015

The Whirlwind that is May

   I know I write almost every year that this by far my favorite time of year. Although I say that May is my favorite month, the truth is I would normally say that from April 20 to Memorial Day is the time I most enjoy. Because this spring was so cold, we lost about 2 solid weeks of what is normally prime time. It is true that the cold spring could extend the season, but a couple ninety degree days could warm the water very quickly.

So although I am saddened that about 2 weeks of spring were wasted, I am thrilled that the southwest wind has brought warm air, stripers and spring migrants.

Yesterday Laurie and I went to Great Swamp in South Kingston, RI. She loves looking for frogs and turtles, and...its a swamp. I birded. We saw a bunch of osprey, yellow warblers and blackpoll warblers. Birding wasn't great but we did have a nice three mile walk and the scenery is awesome.

Today after work, my plan was to go Swan Point Cemetery and look for warblers, then get the kayak and go trout fishing. The wind was strong so not many birds were around. However, I saw a bald eagle! As I was walking along the shoreline a big bird landed in a tree right above me. I thought it must have been a turkey. I put my binoculars on it but couldn't get a good look through the trees. I took one step and it took off. I could see the unmistakable white head flying away from me. I will admit, my adrenaline was pumping. I saw some greater yellowlegs after that. Then headed home.

The wind was howling, so I chose not to go kayaking. I could have went striper or carp fishing. Instead I opted to stay home. I haven't ran much because of fish and birds and needed to stretch my legs. So, I didn't do much today outside. I think I needed a "rest day" What did I do on my rest day after birding? I put together a list of places I want to fish and bird this month. I love this month and am not going to waste it inside!

My first striper of the year.
I caught it a couple days ago.






No comments:

Post a Comment