Monday, May 18, 2015

Getting it wrong sometimes

The other night my options on what to fish for came down to my three usual suspects; carp, stripers, or trout. For the most part, I put the trout on the back burner in mid-May. However, I hadn't caught many this year. I only fished for them four or five times. Also the thought of smoked trout appealed to me. So I went against my general plan and went to the fly fishing only pond in northern RI.

In May trout fishing is usually pretty easy. The water temp is ideal and there are a lot of bugs on the water. So I went to the pond about supper time. I was actually hoping to catch a limit. I don't keep many fish but I do make a batch of smoked trout once a year. If I limited out early, I'd swing down to the bay and try for stripers before dark.

No such luck. The trout proved very difficult to fool this night. There were not many jumping. Something was hatching on the water but the trout were not chasing. I managed to catch four. I had two others fight, but come off. Other than those six trout, I had very few other hits.

I was happy with my outcome despite the inactive fish. Catching four on a tough day is okay by me. I worked hard to catch them, but hey, at least I didn't go home with a goose egg. As I was putting my kayak on the car I got a text from Dave. He went striper fishing. How did he do?

He caught 21 at a spot he only caught three the night before. Sometimes you just never know

No comments:

Post a Comment