Saturday, March 28, 2015

Wrapping up Some Winter Plans


Blackstone Gorge
 Before I go on with this post, about winter, I should be on my third weekend of spring fishing trips. Normally I start my trout and carp fishing about mid-March. Mother Nature had other plans, although the ponds should be ice free in a few days, there is still a thin area of ice on most ponds.
So on Thursday I wrapped up a few small things I had wanted to do all winter. None of these things are mind blowing, but they were things I've wanted to do.

First up, I went to the Blackstone Gorge. This is an area in Woonsocket where the river narrows and goes through a gorge. There is about a mile of trail. There is a picnic table. Footing was slippery from ice. I did not do much hiking. I dint expect the snow and was wearing sneakers. I will have to go back again.


From there I went to the Attleboro Art Museum. Somehow I had never been there. I didn't know what to expect. Sadly, I was disappointed. I was hoping for paintings but it was all modern sculpture. It is a small (free) museum. I was only there 10 minutes.  When I left I was going to go King Philips Cave in Norton. When I Googled it, I saw it is near my friend Laurie's house. I'll just go someday when I visit her.

So I next went to the North Attleboro National Fish Hatchery. If there is a more unfriendly place for the public I haven't seen it. There is one display tank. No one of the staff comes outside. This was the first time I have been there since converting from salmon to shad rearing. The display tank still had some big salmon. There is a nature trail in the back. I walked to the pond and saw some ring necked ducks.

Display tank at fish hatchery




Lastly I went to the "Powder House". This was a place that gunpowder was stored at that was used during Revolutionary War and War of 1812.  It is three miles from my home but I haven't been buy in twenty years. I was only there a few minutes, but it was my favorite thing to do all day.



1 comment:

  1. The Art Museums displays change all the time. Sometimes paintings, photography, other times sculpture.

    ReplyDelete