Wednesday, January 21, 2015

River Bend Farm and Lookout Rock

As usual on my day off last week I went for a hike. I chose one of the prettier areas I know of. The Blackstone River State Park has many small parcels. One of them is the River Bend Farm area in Uxbridge, MA. The area is very scenic. There is a canal along with a path that goes a mile or so. There is a small pond. Laurie and I go there a couple times a year. We look for turtles and frogs. One year we saw a four foot long northern water snake sunning itself.

This trip, I wanted to hike places I had never been. First up was a place called Lookout Rock. I parked on Quaker Street.  I didn't know how long the hike would be from the parking area. Turns out the walk wasn't much of a hike. It was maybe a five minute walk. The view overlooks the Blackstone River in a marshy area. It is really pretty.

From there I walked the couple of miles back towards the Stone Arch Bridge on Hartford Ave. The walk is relatively flat after coming down from the rock. It is a really pretty woods. I enjoyed it. There was a cove that was partially frozen in the river.

The walk back and forth took a couple hours. After I got done with that hike I drove back to Hartford Ave. I parked at the Medical Center by the waterfall. I crossed the street and walked into the field. There is a trail that goes over Goat Hill. There is a loop that counter clockwise follows the river to Goat Hill lock. Then it turns around and goes back toward the car by going over Goat Hill. The hike up Goat Hill is mildly strenuous but there isn't any views that I could find. The walk towards the wooded summit follows some really well preserved stone walls.

 I spent about four hours in the area. I highly recommend checking this area out. It is a nice area in the spring. I am looking forward to the view from Lookout rock once the trees have leaves. There are picnic tables at River Bend Farm and along the path from Quaker Street to Hartford Ave.
The View from Lookout Rock






This is Lookout Rock. The view above is from the
top of the rock





These woods of White Pines
were very inviting




These tables are a ten minute walk from the parking are
on Hartford Ave, Uxbridge





Goat Hill Lock was used to get barges through the
canal in the 1800's

No comments:

Post a Comment