Sunday, January 18, 2015

Daniel Webster Wildlife Sanctuary

A couple weeks ago Laurie and I went to one of my favorite places for a walk. We went to Daniel Webster Wildlife Sanctuary in Marshfield, MA. Daniel Webster is one of the better places to see raptors that I know of. There are acres of fields, marsh, forest, and a river runs through it. Mass Audubon owns the property. If you get a chance to take a walk there, especially during the spring, it is worth the drive.

There is a lot of wildlife. More often than not, if I stay until dark, I see a deer or two. During the spring, this is one of the best places I know of to see bobolinks and woodcocks. I never know what I'm going to see there.

The day Laurie and I went of course was winter. We only went  for the hour before dark. It was very cold. I didn't mind the weather, but Laurie is not used to being outside, so she was not having much fun. She was a trooper and was hoping to see an owl, so she didn't complain.

For us, the highlights were a hawk that was on a post right next to the path. We also saw a couple deer. Two of them were in the field hundreds of yards away. The other two were right next to the blind near the parking lot. These two were beautiful bucks. They were only a few yards away. Unfortunately, we saw these two right near dark so getting a decent picture was not an option.

















Two deer from a considerable distance

















Daniel Webster was named because the great
US Senator from Massachusetts is buried in the cemetery next door

No comments:

Post a Comment