Friday, January 16, 2015

Christmas Day at Rocky Narrows

On Christmas I have to find something to do in the afternoons. DJ goes over his mom's house after we open presents and have breakfast. My friend Laurie does the same. After spending the day with there respective families, we all meet later for Christmas dinner. I have come to cherish these few hours to start a Christmas tradition to spend some time outdoors. This Christmas was beautiful. The temperature was about 60 degrees and sunny. Knowing what the weather would be like for a few days, I couldn't wait to do a hike.

I went to Rocky Narrows. This area is another property owned by the Trustees of the Reservation. This is one of their more popular properties. I figured that Christmas would be a good day to go hoping it wouldn't be very crowded. When I got there, only one other car was in the lot. However, by the time I got back to my car, the lot was full. a lot of people were on the trail enjoying a beautiful day. Almost all of them were wearing brand shiny new hiking boots.

Rocky Narrows is very large. There are miles of trails. My goal were the two views of the Charles River. I did a big loop that lasted a couple hours. The scenery was nice and you actually can get far enough from the road that you can get the deep woods feel. For maps, they are posted at the trailhead along with pamphlets that contain a map, or you can download it from the Trustess website.


A boot view from the overlook.
Thanks for the idea for this shot Steve Smith







The river in the picture is the Charles








At 60 degrees I knew there wouldn't be any ice in the swamps or
vernal pools







There were quite a few of cars in the lot when I got
back to the lot

No comments:

Post a Comment