Monday, December 1, 2014

Blackstone River Bikepath

Admittedly, this post should be done during the warmer months, however I took some photos the other day and figure now is as good a time as any to write about a real tresure. I will post it again in the spring without this opening paragraph.

The Blackstone River Bikepath is about 10 miles long. It runs from Cumberland (almost Central Falls) to Woonsocket. You would never believe how "green" it is going through such urban communities. For the whole way the path runs along the Blackstone River, the historic Blackstone Canal or both. Only for short amounts of time can you not see water. The bikepath is always listed as one of the ten best things to do in Rhode Island.

 There are many access points and a quick search will get you to the one closest you. For me, I usually park at the Kelly House just a minute or two off of I-295. This is close to the middle of the path, giving me options.A lot of people use the path for walking, biking or rollerblading. I will say that other than summer weekends, rarely is it crowded.

Over this summer and fall I rode my bike a lot on the path. I did the whole path of twenty miles (ten up and back) one time. Usually though, I do a ride of about 12-14 miles as this takes me just over an hour. I have noticed I enjoy the ride a lot more when I am relaxing and enjoying the scenery.

 There is always something to look at. There are three dams, the a fore mentioned river and canal and bridges that I pass under. It is a great place to see fish swimming and the best place I know to see muskrats right before dark. I have seen one deer.  Many people will stop at the benches along the waterfalls.

The Kelly House Museum does a great job explaining the Industrial
of the area. It is at Mile Marker 11 and it is
FREE!


This is Mile Marker 11. The first Mile Marker
starts at 7.5 because it is 7.5 miles from the East
Bay Bikepath. This is a little confusing for peoplie
new to the path.
Next year you owe it to yourself to take a daytrip to the bike path. It is an easy ride for millions of people in southeastern MA and can be reached by almost everyone in Rhode Island in an hour drive. Take the family and a lunch, go for a bike ride and get some fresh air. It is a tresure.

No comments:

Post a Comment