Saturday, December 6, 2014

Attleboro Area Industrial Museum

On my quest to learn more about my area, I went to the Attleboro Area Industrial Museum. The museum is in downtown Attleboro right next to the police station. Any info on for dates open ant times can easily be found with a quick Google Search. I was going to make it a two for one deal and go to the Attleboro Art Museum also, but it was closed for the Thanksgiving weekend.

This little museum is a gem. First off, it is free. Although donation are definitely appreciated. I put a couple dollars in the donation box before I left. Every place is famous for something. Attleboro is famous for jewelry. I t was considered the jewelry capitol of the United States. There were many manufacturers making things as important as World Series rings. Many of the exhibits are on jewelery, although there is plenty more to see.

I was the only one in the museum, which was an old mill building, when I went. There was one man named Carlton working, I believe he runs the place. Anyway, he basically gave me a tour and was not only knowledgeable of all the artifacts but also seemed to know everything about the Attleboro area history. He shocked me when he said the museum had been there since 1976. I thought for sure I've only noticed it the past couple years. He was great and answered all my questions.

There were some Indian arrowheads which I like looking at. There were many old timey machines used in old mills. I guess many people would find an old horse drawn fire truck one of the most interesting pieces. I liked looking at some then and now pictures of different areas of Attleboro.  It was neat seeing what parts of town looked like one hundred years ago.

All in all, I stayed about an hour. I sort of rushed because I also wanted to go to Slater Mill in Pawtucket. If I didn't rush, I'd say I would have been happy with another half hour. I know a few people that asked me"how is it, I always drive by but never stop" I can say that the museum is absolutely worth 90 minutes of your time. I was totally surprised at how fascinating it was.
Exhibit on Balfour, a famous manufacturer in town

Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment