Monday, November 17, 2014

Wilson Mountain. Dedham

A couple of posts ago I promised to hike once a week for the winter (weather permitting). Not
A little babbling brook
wanting to be a liar, I made good on my promise on Saturday. I hit up a couple of reservations near Boston. The first was named Wilson Mountain. This property is owned by the state and is a 207 acre state park. Directions are simple., Take Route 128 to Exit 17 (Route 135). Parking is a half mile down on the right.

There are a couple miles of trail. Although calling Wilson Mountain is like calling me at five foot five an NBA center, there is a hill that actually has a view towards the Boston skyline. It was a pretty park. I'd say there are a couple miles of trails. On a chilly but dry day I saw a few people. At least half of them were walking their dog.

The highlight for me was seeing a decent size buck. I had just put my camera in my bag not ten seconds before I saw it. luckily, it did not see me and I got a couple quick pictures of it. I would say it was forty yards away. there was some brush between us, so the pictures were not great, but I did get to watch it meander on a a ridge for a minute or so. Between hiking, picture taking and sitting on top looking at the view I stayed about two hours.
A pretty carpet of pine needles





Prudential on far left
John Hancock middle left
The best view is from on top of this rock
as you can see both the John Hancock and Prudential





Stealing picture ideas from the Mountain Wanderer
and one of my favorite authors Steve Smith



 


A little bit of snow was left over from the little storm the previous morning





Even as the temperature rose to around forty, the skim ice never melted off the swamp





A buck through the brush




No comments:

Post a Comment