Monday, November 24, 2014

The Art of Lunch

Up until two or three years ago, I never realized how much more enjoyable my outdoor adventures could be if I brought a lunch with me. Usually I would fish a few hours then eat something when I got home. Quite often I'd forget I was even hungry for most of the day.

When I would climb a mountain, we would bring a lunch with us and eat it at the summit. Trust me when I tell you food tastes amazing after a four hour hike uphill. I looked forward to eating as much as I looked forward to the view.

I never had this cross over to other outdoor pursuits. Just over the last couple years, I bring lunch on fishing trips and daytrips. I think bringing a lunch enhances the experience. Bringing a lunch opens up options. First off, you don't need to leave whatever you are doing when you get hungry. You can stay as long as you want without worry of your stomach growling. Second, by bringing a lunch, you can eat anything you want instead of being dependent on whatever is in the area. Also, by bringing a lunch, your more likely to eat healthier than if you stop at a fast food joint.

In general, I bring a couple sandwiches with me and some fruit. I started eating healthier over the last six months than I used to.  I love fruit, so I snack on it all day. I'm pretty cheap, so I usually but bananas and apples. If strawberries are on sale in the spring, I may spring for them.

For sandwiches, I usually bring one with sandwich meat like roast beef and turkey. They hold up pretty well. Sometimes I am the mood for tuna. If I make tuna, I make the sandwiches on site. I'll bring the tuna in a container and wrap the bread. Soggy bread is a pet peeve of mine.  Other food I have brought for lunch include leftovers from the night  before and Chef Boyardee.

As I mentioned, I usually bring fruit as a "side dish" Other sides I have brought with me include candy bars, cookies, cans of fruit such as mandarin oranges, and pudding cups. Bring whatever you like.

Just the other day, I bought a thermos. I do not have much experience bringing hot foods with me. However on these winter hiking trips, a nice hot chocolate when I get back to the car is welcome warmth. I may but another thermos so I can have one for hot drinks and another for hot meals. Options there include soup, hot dogs in hot water ( a friend of mine did this for a fishing trip this spring and they were great). If I put my mind to it, I'm going to come up with other hot food ideas that I can store in a thermos.

When I go on a hike and bring lunch on my back, I usually bring foods that hold up pretty well fruit such as apples are less likely to turn soft than bananas. Cans of spaghetti-o's although heavy come with me a lot. I have no problem eating them cold, but some people think that is disgusting.  Remember to either bring cans with pop off lids or bring a can opener.

 Now a days, plastic containers to protect sandwiches are all the rage. They work well, but I find bread will still get stale if I don't wrap them in a sandwich baggie anyway. I also use deli meat containers for the same protection for my sandwiches.I am not a huge fan of flattened sandwiches so I make sure to keep them protected in my backpack.

I really enjoy eating lunch on an all day fishing trip or even when I am driving between spots hiking. Although lunch is not the highlight of the day when fishing is great, but it does make all trips that much better. If food is an after thought to you or you usually end up up at McDonalds, it might be worth a few minutes at the grocery store buying and planning a meal you will actually enjoy. Your meal will most likely be cheaper than if you ate out. It could be as healthy or as bad for you as you want it to be. Either way, it will be food you like

No comments:

Post a Comment