Sunday, November 23, 2014

Norman Rockwell Museum, Stockbridge, MA

The Post cover Rockwell did of JFK
Over the summer my good buddy Laurie and I went on a quick getaway to western Massachusetts. We hit a couple museums in Springfield, the Golden Corral and the Norman Rockwell Museum. The day we went to the Rockwell Museum, admission was free because they participated in the free museum Friday over the summer. As you can imagine, it was pretty crowded. Normal admission is $17.50 for an adult

The museum sits on a really nice property. There are two main buildings. One is the main museum. The other is a short walk to his studio. The studio that Rockwell worked at was in downtown Stockbridge. It was moved to this property when the museum bought it.

 The main museum has two floors. The bottom is a collection of all the covers he did for the Post, there are hundreds. The top floor is a collection of his works. This was one place that I knew I was in the presence of greatness. I really admired all the paintings. Of special note were the famous "Four Freedoms" they are the Freedom of Speech, Religion, Freedom from Want, and Freedom from Fear. They are in a central room. There are many other paintings, too many to count, some are quite funny as Rockwell really had a sense of humor.

I spent quite a few minutes taking pictures of the Post  that Rockwell did of my hero JFK. I wanted to get a perfect shot of it. This is tougher than it would seem because of glares, reflection and the dimensions. I took at least twenty pictures of it, but when my phone crapped out, I lost them all.

If you are into art, I highly suggest you take some time to visit this museum. Not only was Rockwell one of the best and most famous artists in American, he was also one of the most prolific. 

No comments:

Post a Comment