Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Some Albie Addiction Stories

I haven't wrote about it, but it has been a good year for albies in Rhode Island. Actually, for some guys it has been a great year. Shore guys are still catching them, I know of three caught in the last few days. I only got down to the ocean to fish for them a couple times choosing instead to hike up in New Hampshire on some of my days off in September.

 I thought I'd share some stories  I came across while fishing for them that shows how dedicated and even crazy how guys can get over these little tunny.

First myself... I went to the West Wall a couple weeks ago. I planned on fishing a couple hours, then head to Narragansett to fish the avenues. Since I only planned on fishing the morning from 8-11 am, I packed as such. Before I even got up the wall I could see fish breaking within casting distance from the wall. And that is how the whole day went. For the next seven hours I saw fish. Some would be hundreds of yards from me in front of other guys. Sometimes they would pop up in front of me. Sometimes I watched them putting on a show slashing bait out of casting distance putting on a hell of a show.

Since I only planned on fishing there for three hours, I did not bring any water or food with me. I fished seven hours under the bright sun without drink. I also did not bring sunscreen. I only got a little burned, so I got lucky there. As for going all that time without water, I just couldn't walk away from breaking fish.

Okay you say, I'm an idiot. As I was leaving I was talking to a guy that was just getting there. He asked me if I caught any. I told him I got three but none after noon. He told me he picked up a few before work. He came back straight from work and did the exact same thing the day before. He said his girlfriend was getting less and less understanding.

I can beat that story. The same day I caught these fish and talked to this diehard, I sent a pic of an albie to a friend. He was down at the West Wall an hour later. The amazing thing though... He had a day surgery only three hours before he was fishing. He still was numb from Novocaine and had an open wound. Three hours
and an hour of that was driving to the wall. Now that's addiction

No comments:

Post a Comment