Sunday, October 19, 2014

REI Garage Sale

REI the outdoor gear company had their "garage sale" on Saturday. The sale is stuff that has been returned to the store. Things are sold as is and there are no returns. However, things are returned for a variety of reasons. Bought wrong size, didn't fit right, just didn't like it are just three of a thousand reasons things are returned. The company can't sell the stuff as new anymore so they save it up and every so often have a "garage sale.

Saturday was the "garage sale at the Cranston store. The sale is for members only. To become a member of REI, you have to pay a one time twenty dollar joining fee. The doors opened at 9am. DJ and I got there about 8:55. There was a line 200 feet long and I thought I wasted my time.

When doors opened a few minutes later and most everyone went in. Right outside the doors were the hiking boots. I tried on several pairs, most looked brand new. I wear between a 9-10.5 depending on width. There were many in that size range but I just couldn't find the perfect fit. Since boots were the main reason I went, I spent a lot of time looking them over and trying them on. So much time in fact, I was afraid everything else was picked over. I was wrong, they had a lot of stuff for sale.

I went into the storage room. This is where tents, sleeping bags, and pads were sold. While I was doing this, DJ was trying on backpacks. Not used or sale packs. These were the full price packs. He had no plans of buying any. DJ was just killing time waiting for me. He was hoping to get an idea of ones he liked for the future. The one he liked most and was most comfortable was 239 dollars.

I didn't find anything in the sleeping bag room. There were excellent deals on pads, but I did not trust them to not leak. We went upstairs. There was a rack of daypacks. DJ had been trying on the huge packs that hold a weeks worth of gear. I didn't see any of those. Then he came up to me holding the exact backpack from downstairs. The price. 89.53 dollars. The reason it was returned " the tag said medium and it was a large". Needless to say, DJ held onto the bag. Before he bought it I made him check reviews on line. It got a 4.8 out of 5 with over forty reviews. There wasn't any reoccurring problems such as ripping at the seems, broken zippers, or rips easily. All reviews were quite positive. Talk about a deal!

I found a pair of snowshoes. They are the brand I have been eyeing for ten years (MSR). I just never made the commitment. The ones I bought were last years rentals. They look used but got them for 54 dollars. They sell new for over one hundred. They also came with the attachable fins that are thirty dollars when purchased separately brand new. I am very pleased and can not wait to snow shoe.

Like I said this sale is members only. For twenty dollar that I paid years ago we saved almost two hundred dollars today while spending about one fifty after tax. REI sends regular newsletter with upcoming events to its members, if you would like to get in on this sale, it may be something to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment