Friday, October 24, 2014

Just Happy to Find Fish

To be completely honest I really didn't feel like going to the ocean today. I spent the last two days having carp kick my ass. The northwest wind wasn't really cold but it was raw. I went anyway for one reason. We have about a month left of striper fishing at best. For the working man with two days off a week, that means (again, at best with luck) I have 8 chances to catch stripers.

So I chose to go after sitting outside for three hours having carp ignore my offering. I got to the ocean around 1:30. As I was getting out of my car I got a phone call. Bass were hitting at a spot 10 minutes away. I got back in my car and drove over. When I got there, the fish were heading out of casting range. I landed one schoolie, but for the most part it was over.

I fished another half hour but nothing else happened. So I scouted out other spots. The ocean was dead calm and it would have been easy to find feeding fish. I fished two other spots at the ocean without any luck.

I decided to try some back water in an estuary. There was some bait around and a fly fisherman. He had a bent rod, so I was happy to see that. I made a few casts and was on within minutes with a schoolie. A few minutes later I had a hickory shad. I won't bore you with every fish but over the next 3 hours I caught about ten shad and four stripers.

Fishing was by no means great. I slugged it out for those fish. The fly rodder had a school of bass in front of him. He caught a lot more bass than he did shad.

On a day that the oceanfront seemed to have very few fish around, I was very happy that I found fish at all. Not the best day fishing but still well worth the trip, especially since opportunities for trips to the ocean are slipping away.

No comments:

Post a Comment