Friday, October 10, 2014

Getting Lucky Taking Spills

   So far this year I have managed to avoid any serious injury. However, that said I have taken a couple of serious spills. In June I went fishing at the Cape Cod Canal. I was fishing the jetty at the East End of Scusset Beach. It started to rain and the rocks got slippery. I was hopping from one rock to another (actually walking very slowly trying my best to not lose my balance) and slipped. I fell completely backwards and fell in between two boulders. I fell into the space. The first part of my body to hit was the back of my head. It took the full force of my weight. When I came to a stop my body was in the shape of a V with my body wedged between the rocks and my feet in the air.

   My first thought was I must have something broken or have a concussion. At first I thought my head was not clear. But somehow it was clear. I could think straight and was surprised by this. Next I tried to figure out if anything was broken. Again somehow I was not hurt.  Nothing seemed to be in pain. Then my problem began, I had to figure out how to get out of my predicament. It took me a solid ten minutes to figure out how to move. Finally, I wiggled my way out, stood up, felt the bump on the back of my head and went back to fishing. Pure luck

   When I hiked Friday as I was hiking down the Falling Waters Trail, I came across a  rock scramble. It was just a flat rock that was kind of steep. There was a couple going up and the girl slipped on the rock. She stepped on some leaves. Under them the rock was wet. Luckily she did not get hurt. After I made sure everyone was okay, I took one step. I fell on my butt and slid down the slide. I slid down about 30 feet. It was wet and I flew down. Somehow I stopped at the bottom without injuring my leg/foot/ or ankle. When I looked back the couple was far enough above me to look small. I don't know how I managed only a small scratch om my elbow and a little bruise on my behind.

   I don't know if I have nine lives, a guardian angel, or somebody watching over me, but I got lucky on these two falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment