Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Mount Pierce and Mount Jackson

The bald summit of Eisenhower from Mt. Pierce
A lot of people ask me about which mountains to hike. There are some easy hike in New Hampshire and

just as many knee killers. Obviously everyone wants to hike Mount Washington. Washington is hard, it is a hike that will turn off a lot of beginners. The view goes for hundreds of miles. I however think there are much prettier views on other mountains. Although you can see so far from Washington, I think the views are better looking at it than from it. Also with all the people, the Cog Railroad and the Auto Road, the top of Mt. Washington is not a wilderness experience.

When non hikers ask me where they should go, I usually suggest Mt Pierce and Mt Jackson. Both of those trailheads are right near the AMC hostel just north of Crawford Notch. Both mountains have relatively short trails with minimal elevation gain for mountains over 4000 feet.

Mt. Jackson-

Poking just over 4000 feet at 4052 feet, Jackson is one of the smaller of the Presidentials. However the view is awsome. I believe the trail is a little over two miles. There is a rock scramble near the summit. Its not really a hard scramble, more fun than dangerous, but it might make parents a little nervous. DJ hiked Jackson as his first mountain when he was seven. It is just above timberline and views across the Presidentials are incredible.

Mt Pierce-

Mt. Pierce summit view
Pierce is one of my favorite mountains. The trail goes up the Crawford Path which is the oldest still used hiking trail in the United States. The trail is 3.1 miles to the top. I hiked Pierce the other day. It took me two hours from car to summit. I am probably an average hiker and I only say how long it took me as a point of reference. We each hike at different speeds and to enjoy a hike, stay at your speed.

Almost the whole hike is protected by the safety of trees. Right near the top, you come out above the timber and a short 200 feet will get you to the summit. The main view is towards Eisenhower with Washington over the ridge. This mountain gives a lot of bang for the buck. If it's still early and you have the energy, Eisenhower or Jackson can both be climbed the same day.

There other "easy mountains"  such as Canon and Hale (no views at all on Hale) but for great views and the taste of mountain hiking these two mountains are a couple of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment