Thursday, August 28, 2014

Albie Addiction

Please Lord, let the albies show up in good numbers!
We are coming to the time of year where a lot of fishermen will be hoping to tangle with false albacore.
Albies are a small tuna that occasionally come close to shore. They are the perfect fish. They are super fast ripping yards of drag in seconds. They are beautiful, there skin shines like metal. Fishermen will spend every free minute they get for the chance to catch a couple of these fish each fall.

I have caught a total of five albies in my life. I caught them all on the same day. September 12, 2012. Twenty twelve was probably the best year ever for albies. I was lucky enough to be down in Narragansett, during the best day of the year.

Needless to say, everyone was hoping 2013 would be just as good. Albies barely showed up. Almost none were caught from shore in Rhode Island. A few were caught by boaters. Here is what I know, fishing for albies is an addiction. After I caught them, I spent weeks thinking about them every waking moment. Last year was a crushing blow for an albie addict. Lets hope this year is better. Whether I catch one or not, I'm going to think about them constantly the next six to eight weeks, so I'm really hoping they show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment