Saturday, July 12, 2014

Playing at the Cape Cod Canal

I apologize for not writing at all over the last three weeks. Over the last month I have been trying to change to a healthier lifestyle. I've been eating healthy and exercising. Because I have been bike riding in the evenings, I haven't fished as much as normal. I still got out five times the first ten days of the month, but I haven't had anything to write home about.
   Since I hadn't done anything memorable the last weeks, I was determined to not waste my Friday off. I knew high tide at the Canal was around 11am so figured I'd spend the day there.

I got to the Canal around 10:15, I found a parking spot and rode my bike to the east end. I locked my bike and fished the jetty almost to the end. About 12:30 fish started breaking. They were on mackerel. This wasn`t an all out blitz with thousands of fish by any means. However, for the next hour or so fish would show for a few seconds.

There werent a lot of fish caught. I only saw about six. They ranged in size from big schoolie to twenty pounds. I caught one that was around 27 inches. I could have measured it, but I was pretty sure it was a short. I fished for another hour, didn't see any more fish caught so I headed back to my car via bike.

Back at the car around 2:30, I grabbed my lunch and a chair. I found a shady spot and enjoyed my turkey sandwiches and plum watching boats go by.

After lunch I drove to the west end and parked at the Mass Maritime Acadamy. If anyone was catching bottom fish, I would have bought some squid and fished some more. No one was catching anything and the tide was getting low.

I decided to head home. Once home, I took a nap as the sun drained my energy.  Then went carp fishimg with my friend Dave. He caught 3 to my one, including a hard fighting seventeen pounder.

All the stripers at the canal were caught on a variety of lures. I got mine on a mackerel colored Savage Jig. Others were caught on SP minnow, Sebile slow sinking swimmer, and even a pencil popper.




,,,






No comments:

Post a Comment