Friday, July 18, 2014

l missed you old friend, New Hampshire 2014 Trip 1

For the first time this year I made my first
trip to the Granite State. It had been long time since my last trip. DJ got some days off from work, so off we went

We left Wednesday after I got out of work. We made it up about 4:30. We found a tent site and went back to Profile Lake. I fished from the kayak for a couple hours. I only caught one small brookie. DJ took a rock climbers path to the bottom of the Canon Mountain cliff. He played at the bottom of the cliffs for a while, rock hopping and taking in the view. When he got down we made supper and went to camp.

Thursday morning we broke camp before 7am. We drove to Gorham where we found the trailhead for Mt. Moriah. This mountain is 4049 feet tall. Since we are trying to hike all 48 four thousand footers, we wanted to get one in this trip. The weather was nice. There were some nice views midway up. The hike was hard, but I made it up. I did not feel like I was going to die like last year on Whiteface. The view at the top was awesome. We lingered over an hour eating lunch and talking with other hikers. After we got down we rewarded ourselves with chocolate milk. Thursday night we stayed at my cousin Mark's house in Maine.

After sleeping in and saying our goodbyes DJ and I went to Black Mountain Pond off Sandwich Notch Road. On the way, we stopped at a pond so I could catch a red breasted sunfish.

There was no way I could hike another 4000 footer, but the hike to Black Mountain Pond is pretty easy. Once there I fished. I caught nine trout. My son, full of energy hiked up Black Mountain. The trail was really steep, but he had a good time. When he got back to the pond we hiked out.

Before heading home, we made a quick stop at Kiah Pond where I landed species number 28, common shiner.

Totals- trail miles 17 for me, DJ-21

Animals- deer, 2 turkeys, 2 moles,lepard frog, green frogs, garter snake, toads, brook trout, common shiner, red breasted sunfish, newt, leech






























No comments:

Post a Comment