Saturday, March 12, 2011

SPRING is HERE! GET READY



I just went outside to check my mail. I was wearing sandals, shorts and a t-shirt. When I stepped outside, it was almost as warm as my house. When I got down my steps I stepped into the sun. I could actually feel it on my back. I came inside and checked the weather. It is to my surprise only 46 degrees. With the bright sun it feels a hell of a lot warmer.
The ice has melted off the ponds in most of Rhode Island. In North Attleboro, the ponds are melting rapidly and there is basically a skim of ice on the surface. The ice could be completely gone by the time I write this, I'm not the worlds fastest typer. I will start fishing when the ice is completely off the ponds. I can't drive to Rhode Island to fish because my car is in the shop over the weekend until possibly Wednesday. It blew a fuel pump at 4 pm Friday, I had it towed to my mechanic. Unfortunately, the needed fuel pump, has to be ordered from the midwest, so I sit in front of the computer to do this while I am on hiatus.

I am going to start fishing as soon as I get my car back. Maybe sooner if I ride my bike or walk to Falls Pond. I know many of you will wait until it gets really warm to start fishing. The bug will hit you in April when we get that first 70 degree weekend. Maybe your kid will ask you to take them fishing, and of course you will decide better to spend some quality time with them and put off raking leaves and brush until next weekend.

I use the winter organizing my tackle, making repairs and planning for the upcoming season. I know most of you reading this are not so obsessed with fishing. I doubt any of you laid in bed until 2:30 am last night tossing and turning thinking about the best way to fish Hopping Hill Reservoir. I may or may not have, you can't prove anything!

However, (not really sure you can start a paragraph with "however", but oh well, its my blog) even if you are not as obsessed as me, if you are a fisherman or woman there are some important things you should do before the season starts. I've done most of these things in November, For those of you that haven't thought about taking a rod out of your garage since August, lets call this a friendly reminder.

Get your fishing license. Many times I have put off getting my license until I wanted to go fishing. I'm sure many of you have also. The problem with doing this is your going to get your license when you could be fishing. What a waste of time to drive to Walmart on a beautiful Saturday morning in April. The store is crowded and your gonna waste an hour. After dealing with Walmart customers and the parking lot, your not going to be as enthusiastic about fishing. Get your license before hand. Walmart, Dick's Sporting Goods and most tackle shops sell them. Get it before you plan on going fishing. I buy a Massachusetts and Rhode Island freshwater license and also a Mass Saltwater Fisheries permit.

Change your old fishing line. I change my line on my reels during the winter. Fishing line does deteriorate. The sun and heat WILL weaken your line. Also the more you use it, the friction from rocks, seaweed, tree branches and possibly even your rod guides will have a negative effect. You do not want to find out your line is weak when you have a decent fish on. I change my line on all the reels I used the previous year. It only takes a few minutes. Even with all my reels it only takes a little over than an hour. The most boring part is definitely stripping off the old line. During the season I will sometimes put on fresh line on my surf rod. I am determined never to loose a 30 pound striper due to bad line. I am partial to Berkley line. I use Berkley extra limp for my lighter freshwater reels and Berkley Big Game for anything 12 pound or over. Any line that is quality and not cheap is fine, just make sure you actually change it.

Go through your tackle box. I doubt any of you thinks about this.Your gonna take your tackle box out of the garage and go. I recommend taking a minute organizing it and making a list of anything you will need. When I am fishing I am terrible at keeping my boxes organized. After three trips, my tackle box has a close resemblance to my son's bedroom ( without the hidden candy wrappers under the bed). During the winter, I reorganize my box and neaten it up. Theres more reason for this than so it can be ashetically pleasing.
I have a tackle box or bag for each species I fish for. I have a huge box for bas fishing, a box for carp, one for trout, a shoulder bag for saltwater fishing and a box for the canoe striper fishing. It can get a little confusing. Without good organization, I may have forgotten that I lost my favorite lure the last time I went fishing in the fall. I might need to buy hooks for carp. I may have left the cover to my powerbait open and it dried out. I want to know these things BEFORE I go fishing!

Buy your needed supplies now. This goes hand in hand with organizing your box. After you've organized your tackle box, you will almost certainly need to buy at least some supplies. You can never have to many hooks, sinkers, or your favorite color rubber worm. You might find some great sales on these supplies if you buy them at your own leisure instead of the Saturday morning you want to fish. Also, if you need to make any rigs, I strongly suggest you do so now. I make leaders for carp, using eels for stripers, and florocarbon leaders for trout. I make them on cold winter days. If you haven't made them already, better get on it.

Non Fishing supplies. To fish you need a rod a reel a tackle box full of species specific hooks, sinkers or lures. There are other supplies you may need to have a successful trip. Here are some things I carry.

Pliers, Measuring tape, flashlight- Each of my tackle boxes have these three things. I consider these 3 three things as important as anything else in my box

Bug Spray- Some people do not use bug spray. If you do its always a good idea to keep a can in your car. Many an evening have been saved by having a can in my tackle box. I can also say many trips have been cut short by forgetting the spray at home. Try not to get any on your hands. Fish absolutely hate the smell of bug spray. Do not let your bait or lure get any on it AT ALL. Also bug spray destroys fly line so be careful.

Headlamp- Some people prefer using a headlamp over a flashlight because it keeps their hands free. I use both.

Waders- I would not saltwater fish from shore without them. I see so many people with nice surf combos, fishing from shore in there jeans. If you are going to invest in surf fishing, I can't say strongly enough to buy some waders. You will be able reach water shore guys can not. I have fished places that were shallow enough where I could walk way out to the deeper water PAST the point where guys on the shore could even cast. I guarantee you will catch more fish if you own a pair.
One warning, all waders will eventually leak. If you spend $300 on a pair or $50 they will eventually leak. Use the seam sealer when you buy them. It will prolong there life. Save the patch and sealer for the future, you will need them.

Bucket- In some situations a bucket can be extremely handy. You can use one as a tackle box hanging lures along the side. If it has a cover its as comfy a chair as your gonna find.You can put bait in it. Of course a bucket is very useful if you plan on keeping fish. If you drive by a bridge with a lot of fishermen, most will have a bucket. They can be a pain in the ass to carry around in some situations ( like walking a beach casting a plug) but in the right place can be an asset.

Net- If you don't mind carrying it, this can be the difference in catching a trophy or watching it come off at the boat. Your call

Knife- I always bring a knife with me. They are handy for cutting bait and cutting line. you can fillet fish where you are.Lastly, theres no denying, having a knife makes you feel like your a little protected in places your not sure of

Don't forget to bring a rag
Camera- A picture of your kid with a fish beats the hell out of a class picture with a purple background anyday
Scale- If you want to know how much your fish weighs. Price ranges from about $5 to $100

Aerator- If you use shiners, do yourself a favor and buy yourself a battery operated aerator. The shiners will live so much longer. Spend the $10 and get one.

Batteries- Flashlights, aerators and cameras use batteries make sure yours are fully charged or you have spares with you. It only takes one time landing a keeper striper on slippery rocks in the pitch black to make sure you will never forget to check the flashlight again.

Electric Motor and Battery- If you have a canoe, you can do a lot more fishing than paddling if you have one. Still, don't forget the anchor.

Snacks and Water- When I'm fishing the rest of the world is blocked out to me, and I forget all about food. If I'm going with a kid though, I always bring food. KID'S DO NOT LIKE TO FISH ON AN EMPTY STOMACH.

A change of clothes- This may sound over the top but I keep a pair of clean socks and a t shirt in my car at all times. We have all gotten our feet wet, the socks are a good idea. I usually bring my sandals and leave them in the car so the return ride home is more comfortable

True story- One spring day a couple years ago I was walking along the bank of the Blackstone River. The ground was muddy. I slipped down a mudbank about 6 feet into the water that was over my head right at the shoreline. To get out I had to climb up the mudbank. You can imagine what I looked like when I finally reached the bank ( think Arnold Schwarznegger in Predator without the muscle). Kept an extra pair of clothes in the car everyday since then. Also many times I've gotten dirty before meeting friends I had plans with. Having an extra CLEAN shirt in the car saved the day. Boys will be boys!

Other than pliers, measuring tape and a light source ( even if you don't fish at night you never know when there will be an emergency), you will not need all the above things in all situations. You might not need any of them. I rarely use a net. I've never brought one saltwater fishing. I can't deny having a net with me when carp fishing has made landing twenty pounders a lot easier. I may go a year without needing to use the change of clothes, but having it with me when I need it is as they say PRICELESS

News- Rhode Island trout ponds are closed until April 9. That means you can't fish them at all. You can fish non designated trout ponds in Rhode Island.

Massachusetts is planning on stocking trout starting March 21. There is no closed season in Mass. You can fish anywhere all year.

Even though I update trout waters, and stockings, remember there are plenty of all species out there that are biting or will be very soon. No need to wait for the trout trucks.
Go out and have fun!!! The leaves can wait!!!
The top picture is my bass box. All my platic worms, lizards and grubs are in the black bags in the bottom of the box. The lower picture is my overstuffed yet organized trout box. You will notice both boxes have pliers, flashlight and measuring tape. Click on images fora bigger picture

No comments:

Post a Comment